Isaiah manuscript

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Ultimate Questions

“For the Lord does not see as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” ~1Samuel 16:17b

This could very well be the boulder that trips up the most people, believer and non-believer alike. I had given my life to Christ when I asked it, in my college years. Exposure to the world threatens the heartiest faith! My dear Jewish friend was not open to my beliefs, even though we had many talks. It was easy to see how someone raised in a different belief system could be blinded. Also, my faith was quite undeveloped so any skills in apologetics were impetuous and quite frankly, pathetic! The point is, I began questioning the fairness of God’s judgment. My friend “couldn’t help” his unbelief. The thing is, none of us can help ourselves! If we could, we would have bragging rights and Ephesians 2:9 assures us we do not. It was only by God’s grace that I reached a point of decision and commitment! Most would argue, “It was still easier for you,” having been Bible-fed all of my life. Here’s the rub, oh ye skeptic! My sons were fed the Word in steadier doses than me growing up, and yet they have not made a decision of faith that I am aware of. My eldest is outright hostile with God! Easier to believe when you’re immersed in the Gospel? It is not a matter of easy, difficult or impossible! God is sovereign…
“You are saved by grace, through faith…and this not of yourselves. It is a gift of God; not by works, so that NO MAN can boast!” Eph. 2:8,9

God looks favorably on this question of “fairness”. We are not here to judge a person for not accepting Christ as Lord. God would not have wanted me to be critical of my Jewish friend for his closed-mindedness. And perhaps for a time, God didn’t mind that I criticized Him instead. Years later, dark years, mind you, I heard God through another friend, saying, “Trust Me, I will not judge unfairly.” And I believed Him. If you are loving someone who rejects the truth of the Gospel, do not be afraid. You don’t know when this beloved person will see, even suddenly, as they face their own death or some harsh reality of this world. This is what we can know as promised in the Word. God can do no wrong and His judgments are Righteous.

“He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He.” ~Deuteronomy 32:4

“Let them sing before the Lord, for He comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the people with equity.” ~Psalm 98:9

“He will judge the afflicted with justice.” ~Psalm 72:2

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” ~Psalm 139:23-24
This is the question for February. I will be writing on the fairness of God's judgment all month. Questions (or answers) can be sent to me at godstillspeaks3 at yahoo dot com. You don't have to stick to this month's topic. Blessings to you.

No comments: